24 July 2012

Book Review: The Great Gatsby

This is a book that you don't really see current reviews for, I know. I thought that because I had to read if for my junior English class, I would share what I exactly thought about this novel. First off, it's by F. Scott Fitzgerald, which I'm sure the students that are searching for a quick synopsis of it already know.

I would recommend this book that is interested in a slightly twisted love story and is also interested in the happenings of the 1920's before the stock market crash.

Jay Gatsby was a military man that fell in love with a rich, young lady. This young lady named Daisy says she will wait on Jay but goes back on her word and marries another man. Jay Gatsby then spends the majority of his time on creating a lifestyle that Daisy would be suited to. Gatsby and Daisy are eventually reunited but in the end are ultimately separated.

For those students who are actually taking the time to read through this you will be glad you did. Here are a few themes, symbols, and other things to help you with your assignments.

Jay Gatsby - New money, money obtained through hard work
Tom - Old money, inherited money
Daisy - Innocence
Jordan - Flappers
The Green Light - What do green lights usually mean? GO FOR IT.
 Gatsby represents and is fueled by the night but tries to create a false day with his bright parties. The bright parties are supposed to fill the void of a bright Daisy.
Time is also another important theme throughout the novel along with forbidden love.

F. Scott Fitzgerald is a wonderful writer, even though this novel and many other edits of it were rejected multiple times. I believe that because Fitzgerald pulls from his personal experience, it adds to the novel and helps pull together the various themes as a whole.

For the most part, I enjoyed this book even though the first chapter is a little hard to get through. Just persevere and I'm sure you will enjoy it at some point. Good luck in your English classes!

Kisses, Andrea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone's thoughts are welcome, just pick your words carefully!